Thursday, October 05, 2006

Day 52: x96 (fm 96.3)

Houston's radio stations suck. For the first couple months here, I just bent over and took it, but not any more. I listen to x96. No, this is not Sirius Satellite Radio. It's not XM radio either. It's just good radio.

See, I grew up here, and never knew bad radio. Back then we listen to 104.1 and 107.5. However, both stations sold out to Clear Channel, and now they're horrible -- unless you have the memory of a goldfish.

Clear Channel has some moron in New York City put together a playlist of money-makers over the last twenty years and plays them over and over and over again. I can't tell you how many times I've heard Nirvana in one week.

x96, is a radio station out of Salt Lake City. First, they haven't sold out to big corporations, so they still play local music, new music, and are willing to try different things. This makes for a refreshing, hip, current mix of music, with some old stuff thrown in every once in a while. Second, their morning show, the "Radio from Hell Show," is absolutely the best morning show I have ever heard. Period. The three djs, Kerry, Bill, and Gina, have a chemistry wanted by all in radio and television and achieved by few.

So, in the mornings, or when I need to change gears from one subject to another, I listen to x96.com.

1 comment:

MGO said...

Man, I couldn't agree more about the music selection on Houston radio. It's definitely not a "long tail" situation with lots of variety, or even a "short tail." In fact, I'm pretty sure there's no tail at all.

But I have found there are lots of really great music podcasts out there. You ought to check out IndieFeed.org when you get a chance - a lot of the music does start to sound the same, but there are some real gems there, too.