Monday, August 14, 2006

Day 1: First Impressions

Chirp ... chirp ... chirp ... DA NA NA DA NA NA NA NA nuh NA! Startled, I awoke as my first alarm gave way to the blaring of the star spangled banner that is my second alarm. Rising out of bed, I showered and ate a quick bowl of Life, and headed out the door.

Traffic was heavy, but not stand-still. Nevertheless, I was tired by the time I got to school. What was I doing? Should I be a student? Again? It's been so long....

I stood in line and paid $117.26 for syllabi. What are syllabi?? They're paperback books, textbooks, thick ones, ones that every med student dreads and loves, because with them come hours of pain, yet knowledge that will let you care for your patients later.

Class was as great as stale bread dipped in muddy water. I sat on the third row. My classmates were friendly--all of them. I do have a great class. I predict I will have some great professors too. Unfortunately, even in medical school the first day of classes is filled with necessary but inane banter about procedures, syllabi, reading materials, how to not fail, who's hot and who's not, etc.

Ultimately, the clock hit 3:30pm and I stood up dazed.

"All done? Nah... couldn't be. But it is!?"

And then the realization of the amount of homework I had--even on the first day--hit me.

"I guess it's never done."

Nope. Never. I have started on the journey to become a physician. I entered the doors of medical school today, swearing a life of moral uprightness, long hours, hard work, and determination. I will be a good student so I can be a good doctor so I can be an instrument for comfort and health and happiness to those who trust me with their care. I will be a doctor.

No comments: