Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Day 10: Videos

Heaven is streaming videos. The undergraduate experience was decent, mostly because I chose hard classes but ones that had great professors. Here, I don't really get to choose to take anything. I either do and go to med school or don't and do something else...whatever that may be.

Some professors are knowledgeable, but not very good lecturers. However, we have streaming videos!! Someone gets paid $5 an hour (unfortunately not me) to sit in the back and press record and stop. Those videos are uploaded by 4pm that same day, to be watched by all those students who want to see it again, or missed lecture.

This is heaven in Biochem. First, I was a microbiology and history double major in college, hence I've had a lot of biochemistry. Second, the current lecturer likes to stutter, and go on tangents. Therefore, I doze a lot. When I watch the video of lecture, however, I can use Windows media player 10 to speed it up to 1.4x speed. This makes everything go faster, without making words unintelligible. Most every student watches them this way.

Verdict? I get a 45 minute lecture in about 30 minutes, plus the ability to pause, rewind, and review. What a great use of time. Now, what should I do with the hours I was in biochemistry?