Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Day 17: More bus news

Today we did the Gross lab on the posterior triangle of the neck. For those of you who have no clue what that is, relish in your ignorance. It truly is bliss. Mainly that's because the platysma muscle should just freaking die. All it does it stretch your neck. Heck, I'll take a cool palmaris longus muscle over platysma any day. At least then I get claws.

But yesterday, I didn't write about my bus experience, so although this is day 17, the experience happened on day 16. Sue me.

I got on the bus late, because I was dead tired after doing condo-hunting junk all night, and started transfering phone numbers from my old cell phone to my new one (I just jumped ship from Sprint to T-mobile and got a Motorola Razor ... although I think my wife's Samsung T509 is much better) when I saw a young Vietnamese girl hop on the bus at the last second. Since I was catching the later bus, it was already "standing room only" since everyone seems to like to ride it at 7:00am. I thought "man, she looks familiar" but I couldn't place her.

Of course, I've lived in 'Nam, and I've seen so many Viet faces that lots of people start to look familiar. We used to call it the "Cannon Center face" at BYU because you have no clue who the person is, never talked to them, but you see them every day because you eat at the same location (or work, etc.) so you nod at each other in recognition of your mutual existence as you pass each other wordlessly yet again. I know you all know what I'm talking about.

As I near my stop, the Viet girl turns to me and says, "Excuse me, but you look familiar. Have I met you before?" Smiling, I replied "Well, I was just thinking the same thing. My name's Minh Triet."

"Spencer!" she screams. It turned out to be my friend Anh, who I last saw a year and a half ago. She and I had gotten to know each other briefly two years ago, but after a couple months I headed out to school. Last I heard, she was studying at HCC and thinking of accounting.

It turns out she's at the med center studying nursing at TWU. We chatted up a storm in Vietnamese until my stop came, everyone around us staring in shock that some white guy was ripping off fluent Vietnamese on a bus, swapped numbers and headed to our respective schools.

See all the cool experiences you can have on the bus? Busses rock.

1 comment:

Anh Le said...

^_^ I agree! Buses rock! But my experience was a little bit more "oscillatory" than yours...