Friday, August 18, 2006

Day 5: My Cultural ID

Today we had a seminar on cultural humility. Studies have shown that patients get amazingly better healthcare when they are treated by someone of the same race, ethnic background, religion, etc. This may be shocking at first, but it really isn't that groundbreaking. Look at the people you associate with--they all have significant things in common with you.

A physician is no different. Obviously, a doctor that hails from the south will understand my love for brisket or biscuits and gravy more than someone from New York. Neither might be a bad doctor, but the connection will make me feel at ease and probably open up a little more. That extra info I share can often be crucial in diagnosing a disease.

This situation is even more pronounced in ethnic and racial differences. I have many African-American friends, but I can't say I empathize with them. I don't know what it's like to live my life with a skin color that changes how people view me, affects my ability to get a job, etc. I experienced it for awhile in Vietnam, but 6 months is far different from 26 years. I can sympathize, but never empathize.

That empathetic connection can be crucial in some patients, and sympathetic people are always crucial. That's why we get cultural humility training from week one now. It's important, and it's worth it. I'm thankful for it.

No comments: