Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Day 16: Gross Anatomy Practice Practical

Today, from 4:00-5:00pm, Gross Anatomy had a practice practical. It was set up by the second year pedagogues because we MS1s have no clue what a practical will be like, and we're now half-way through the five-week first block. The scary part is that for everything we've learned (or were supposed to have learned) up until now, it's only half of what's on the first-block exams, and one-sixth of what's required in the course.

The practical was 27 questions. Well, it was 27 body parts tagged with pins and arrows, asking, "What the heck is this? Oh, you don't know? Well, sucks to be you. Actually it's just your finger, but it's put in a position that makes you think it's your appendix."

The practical was really helpful and I'm greatful I got one. I learned two things:
  • There's a lot I don't know
  • There's a lot I do know, but can't translate from Netter or my cadaver to other cadavers in not-so-perfect positions
That's heartening and disheartening in one fell swoop. I got 9 ouf 27 correct; a full 33%. It's disheartening because 33% sucks badly and I've put so much time into Gross, but it's heartening because I know I haven't put in as much time as I could have (family stuff) and I know much more than 33%, I just need to spend more time looking at other bodies on Saturday.

Alright, no rest for the weary. Tomorrow starts the neck, taught by the amazing Dr. Zhang.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought this was great, and you should keep it going.

Because you take the reader on a learning curve, real life; watching you work hard.

And seeing the problems you face in daily life, how you involved everyone. At home, it was good to see how your family came to your aid.

Keep it up over years, put all the things that touched you, made you laugh, and equally shocked you; all in the learning process.

By the end you'll have a book charting your rises and falls in Med School and out beyond Doc!

Good Luck

PDN