Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Day 43: Plumbing Problems

The subplot to my med school melodrama is the thriller of trying to buy a condo. My wife and I have been looking for a place since July. We've been staying with my folks, about an hour away, and I've been riding the bus into town and back since. We finally found a place, had the bid accepted, and are now running around like chickens with our heads cut off, making sure everything is ok so we can close in a couple weeks.

Oh, it will be nice to close and have a place CLOSE to school.

So, the wife went to transfer the title of my father's old Honda Accord to us yesterday, but they wouldn't let her because we didn't have insurance on the thing. We bought it from my parents for cheap, because we're really poor. So, today, my wife and I went to State Farm and got insurance on the bad boy so tomorrow she can get the title transfered.

In the morning we took the bus and mapped her route from home to her new job. She gets to practice her Public Health degree with the city. It should be good for her, and they seem to like her. Plus, she won't need to drive, which is a big plus because she doesn't have a lot of experience driving in big cities.

However, we also needed a plumber and electrician to look at the place we're buying, because the inspector suggested it. So, I met our realtor at the place and the plumber looked things over. About $1000 to fix the toilet, shower, and kitchen faucet. I left to go back to school and the electrician came. My wife said he wanted $1225 to replace the breaker box which is obsolete, but not broken.

Man, the money's flying and I'm not even making anything yet. We'll probably wait on the breaker box and I'll do most of the plumbing myself. It pays to have a dad who's a handiman and I've learned a little by his side.

Either way, I missed this new Clinical Applications class. I don't even know what it's about. It just showed up on my schedule, and they sent out some email a day or two ago. Whatever.

1 comment:

Anh Le said...

Glad to read about your journey here! Didn't have enough time to hear and catch up about what you and Thi did... Nice to know you have already blogged long ago.