Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Day 44: Losing Face

Today we disected the face in Gross. It was a tedious, tedious lab. The skin on the eyelid is the thinnest skin in your body, and the rest of the face isn't far behind. Also, nerves in the face are about as thick as floss, branch every which way, and sometimes just pop out of the bone, literally.

Either way, it sucked going back in the lab for the first time after tests, but it was good that I got to disect this lab, because it is so intricate. Do you know that your smiling muscle is Zygomaticus major?? Well, now you do. I wish they'd let us take pics of the cadavers so you could see the progression of the disection, but for obvious reasons they do not, and I whole-heartedly agree with those reasons. I'm very thankful that these men and women donated their bodies so my classmates and I can learn medicine, and I wouldn't want to disrespect that.

You hear about stories of med students doing stupid things in Gross, such as storing flasks of whisky in bodies, or chopping off penises and playing catch. Those stories always disgusted me when I heard them, and I'm happy to say that nothing like that has happened in my class. Nothing even remotely close. The staff did a great job of educating the students at the beginning of the semester about the proper ettiquete around bodies and my classmates have been very mature about it. That doesn't mean there isn't the occasional joviality in lab, it just means its never done at the expense of or disrespect to the cadaver. Life's got too many other funny things to laugh about than to be immature around cadavers.

No comments: